Anyone own an XU?

craigq

Congrats! This forum isn't too active, there's a lot more going on over at electricmotorcycleforum dot com

ariaislove

Unfortunately, I don't own any XU but I already tried it. A friend of mine has a strange addiction on motorcycles (buying new models and then leave them n garage), recently he bought ZERO XU. The feeling riding it was superb. He said that it has removable power packs. Does anyone here knows the difference with the others?

Memento_Mori

I don't own one before but I have tried one and really liked. I still don't know if I will get one or not since I already have a bunch of bikes in my garage.

craigq

Forgot about this post. Looks like a bunch of new users since I last checked. Battery range is pretty spot-on. 2013 specs are a lot nicer though...

Memento_Mori

I rode my friend's a week ago. It really felt different from what I usually ride. Not only in terms of speed but also in terms of comfort and handling. Cant tell if it was better or worse, it was simply different.

scoot440

Hi everybody - I am new around here. I picked up a "brand new" 2011 XU back in October from Hollywood Electrics. I love the bike, but I have not seen anywhere near the advertised range (up to 20 miles). My longest ride so far was 11.8 miles. That ride was done in eco mode and never exceeded 35mph. The last .8 was done at 15-20mph with a lot of praying that the battery would hold out. On an average ride keeping up with traffic on surface streets, it is good for a little less than 10 miles. I wonder if the limited range has to do with the bike's age when I purchased it. I am very thankful that I can charge at work.

As far as riding goes, the bike is great! Around town, it corners and brakes better than almost anything I have ridden. It's also great fun to see people as they process the idea that it is electric. As far as I know, mine is the only Zero in town, and I have only met one person who had ever heard of a Zero.

Have any of you ridden both a chain-drive and a belt-drive version of the XU? Craigq, I notice that yours has the belt. I wonder how that change affects range.

craigq

Hopefully hungff77 or rwilson can tell you what they are getting for range with a 2011.
If it's any consolation my 2012 is broken, bad BMS board. Waiting on a new one from California takes a while...

scoot440

Sorry to hear about the BMS board. Will you be replacing it, or will the dealer be doing it? If you do it, would you mind sharing a few pics?

scoot440

Let us know when you're back on the road. I would think that riding season is just beginning where you are.

craigq

Nothing yet. First contact with Zero was 8-Apr via email, then phone conversation on 12-Apr. The first I heard that the new BMS was shipped was 1-May, it might've been shipped before that. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to find out if they've received it yet. Nice riding weather here, no bike to go riding on. I should get another bike, a gas powered one, to either substitute as my primary or use as a secondary...

craigq

Update: I called the "local" dealership yesterday (16-May) inquiring about an update. They received the replacement BMS board from Zero. However, they don't have the cable required to connect their computer to the bike (BMS board, MBB?) to reprogram/synch them. Zero didn't ship one with the replacement board. I imagine it will be another week or two.

scoot440

That is frustrating! I hope it is resolved soon.

I had some mild issues with mine this past week where I was seeing random warning lights and the bike left me stranded once, but I spoke with my dealer (Hollywood Electrics) a few times and they suggested that the sensor connector (between the postive and negative battery connector) was making poor connection. I cleaned the contacts and added dielectric grease. The bike seems to be doing great now. Now, if the wind would stop blowing so hard....

craigq

Update: Still no cable at the dealership. Wondering if the two-year warranty will expire before the bike gets repaired...